General Statement of Duties
Performs a wide variety of unskilled and semi-skilled manual work required to maintain the agency’s buildings and grounds; performs related work as required.
Distinguishing Features of the Class
Work often requires heavy lifting and is frequently performed under adverse weather conditions, including snow removal. Assignments, including the use of hand tools and the operation of equipment, such as snow removal equipment and snow blowers may require skills which may readily be learned on the job. Work is usually performed under the assistance of an employee of a higher classification, but many tasks may be routine and repetitive in nature, and once learned, can be carried out without difficulty and only under general supervision.
Illustrative Examples of Work
- Performs unskilled or semi-skilled work in all phases of building maintenance and repair, including, but not limited, to electrical, plumbing, carpentry, tile work and general construction. Cleans work area after completion of any job.
- Office and other moves including, but not limited to, desks, file cabinets, and other furniture, equipment and office supplies.
- Will be required, at times, to transport and or pick up items from other locations for the agency.
- Will be required to assist in some grounds keeping tasks, such as the removal of snow, grass cutting, holiday decorating and minor road repairs.
- All snow and other weather related emergencies must be responded to immediately. All other emergencies, i.e. electrical or plumbing must be responded to upon request.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Some knowledge of the tools and methods used in buildings and grounds maintenance.
- Ability to operate simple hand machinery, tools snow removal and other grounds keeping equipment.
- Ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Skilled in the operation of hand tools.
- Sufficient physical strength and ability to perform heavy manual labor, occasionally under adverse weather conditions.
High school diploma or equivalent experience required.
Click here to apply for this position.