Become a Foster Parent Today!
You’re eligible to apply to become a foster parent if you:
- Enjoy playing with, teaching, and mentoring children/teens.
- Have a sincere interest in caring for children and working with their birth families.
- Are at least 21 years old, married or unmarried, with or without children, and in good health.
- Are able to meet your own financial obligations through employment, pension, public assistance and/or social security, (not unemployment benefits).
- Are willing and able to accompany the child or teen to and from, and participate directly in required appointments and meetings.
- Are able to provide each child with his or her own bed and have a home which meets all New York State requirements.
- Complete New York State’s mandated foster parent training program.
- Are willing to comply with all requirements needed to be certified by New York City as a foster parent (including Statewide Central Register (SCR) and federal fingerprinting.)
Support provided to foster parents include:
- A monthly stipend based on a child’s age and special needs.
- Free foster parenting and special needs training.
- A monthly clothing allowance for each child in care.
- Professional case planners to work closely with you and with birth families to meet all child and family needs.
- Assistance from our Family Support Unit to stabilize placements and provide ongoing support, encouragement, and intervention when necessary.
- Additional home based services that address behavioral and emotional needs.
Foster Parent Payment Schedule
- 2017-2018 Direct Deposit Foster Parent Payroll Schedule
- 2016-2017 Direct Deposit Foster Parent Payroll Schedule
We know you have questions and that this is a big commitment. But we also know that others like you have taken this important first step.
Please contact our Home Finding Department at: 1-800-323-0316 or at: email@example.com for more information.